In the early 50’s BMW had the reputation as one of the leading sports car developers. It was then they produced the BMW 507 roadster from 1956 to 1959.
Initially these cars were to be exported to the U.S.A at a rate of thousands annually.
However this proved to be too expensive resulting in a total production of 252 cars.
In 1954, automobile importer, Max Hoffman, persuaded BMW management to produce a roadster version of BMW 501 and 502 saloons.
This concept would then fill the gap between the expensive Mercedes-Benz 300SL and the cheap underpowered Triumph & MG sports cars.
BMW engineer, Fritz Fiedler was assigned to design the chassis using existing components where possible.
BMW contract designer, Albrecht von Goertz designed the BMW 503 and 507.
The BMW 507 Roadster Series 1 had welded aluminium fuel tanks of 110 litres capacity behind rear seats.
The larger tanks limited both boot space and passenger space, so the Series 2 BMW 507 Roasters had fuel tanks of 66 litres capacity under the boot – so a spare tire could even fit.
This cars attractive styling remains as a legacy. Its known 202 BMW 507 Roadsters have survived to this day.
At Amelia Island Concours in 2014, a 507 was sold for $2.4 Million.