Introducing the Jaguar XK150 arrived in the spring of 1957, not available until 1958, was the incarnation of the fabulous XK series of sports cars. The XK150 was a revised development of the XK120 and XK140, retaining some of the basic chassis.
With a 3.4 litre engine and four-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors, but with a new beneficial wider body that provides larger interior space and improved visibility – replacing the XK140’s dividing screen.
While the first Jaguar XK150s were slower than its predecessors, the deficit was corrected in the 1958 spring collection, with a 3.4 litre “S” engine, whose three 2-inch (51 mm) SU HD8 carburettors and straight-port cylinder head increased power to a claimed 250 SAE bhp.
Performance of the Jaguar XK150 was tested by ‘The Motor’ in 1959, with a top speed of 212 km/h, and could accelerate from 0-97 km/h in 7.8 seconds.